Recipe of the Week: Kourabiedes
Kourabiedes are special Greek Christmas cookies made with butter and almonds and dusted with powdered sugar, kourabiedes are melomakarona’s best friends!
Almost always served with a powdered sugar topping, you cannot spend Christmas in Greece without having at least one!
- Prep Time: 45minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: about 60 cookies
- Nutrition information: 201 cal, 10 g fat, 4 g protein
- 2½ cups or 500 grams of butter
- 3 cups roasted unsalted almonds
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 table spoon cinnamon
- 4 cups flour
- ½ cup cognac or brandy
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150 C.
- Crush the almonds into pieces.
- Beat the butter, egg yolks, and sugar.
- Add the cognac or brandy, cinnamon and almonds.
- Add the flour one cup at a time and mix everything together.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll it into balls or other shapes and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 25-30 minutes, checking to make sure they do not burn.
- Place the baked cookies on a plate.
- Take the powdered sugar one cup at a time and dust the cookies until the tops are completely covered.